Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Bubble bubble bubble

Unlike the first batch, after 5 full days I still have a little bubble action happening, which means sugar is still being turned into alcohol. As I mentioned before, I think I killed most of the yeast in the first batch by adding it to the wort when the wort was way too hot. And I've also implemented a new strategy for keeping the bucket cool. Instead of leaving it in the spare bedroom, it now rests in a bathtub , with water filled up to the 3 gal line. Aside from toasting the yeast initially, I also think the fermentation temperature was both too high and too variable in batch 1. Brew Deux has been at a constant 70-73. When the water temperature reaches 73, I add a tray of ice cubes and/or add some fresh cold water. Both seem to do the job and bring the temp back down around 71.

In any event, she's still bubblin', and that's a good thing.

No comments: